Generally speaking I would rather do without something optional than have an inferior version of it.

Essentially I want to buy it once and call it a day.



This extends to all sorts of things but is especially true of electronics. I recognise that various things I want are not necessities. My life will not be miraculously improved by their inclusion and I'm very grateful for the life I have. I can wait.

In the recent past that's partly been what I've been up to with the AV setup at my parents' house. I'm retiring old games consoles there and connecting them up in the highest quality possible. If there's surround sound audio available that's getting piped into the system. If there's something better than component video then I'm using it - even if I have to solder the damned cables myself.

Similarly I don't currently own a modern games console. The goal posts have shifted repeatedly and I'm increasingly interested in eventually getting an Xbox One X. I do rather fancy a Playstation Pro and that remains unchanged but my attention has shifted to the Xbox One X due to the interesting backwards compatibility stuff they're doing with it.

By the looks of things it'll be the best way to run Xbox 360 games in the near future. I currently do most of my console gaming on a 360 and still rather enjoy it as a platform. The Xbox One X seems to be able to do some quite remarkable emulation that incorporates in-engine resolution changes and improvements to provide something better than running on original hardware.

This suggests to me that even if it's some time before I acquire one it may be the way to go for legacy gaming. They're implementing additional backwards compatibility with the original Xbox too which is of less interest to me. I would be rather pleased as it would mean games could be played at very high resolutions (always a plus for me - up to a point) but the catalogue of games that I'm interested in for the console is... not great. Still, a nice bonus to have.

It's pretty much academic at the moment as there's no way in hell I could justify the expenditure on a new console and even if I could I lack the TV hardware to benefit much. I'm still using the TV we bought for Fort Sanity back in 2007. It's seen better days and is due for replacement at some point in the near future but I'll be damned if I'm replacing it before it's actually dead.

Once I'm looking for a replacement the concept I discussed earlier comes into play.

I'll be looking for something monstrously enormous for a start. A 32" TV was actually quite sizeable ten years ago but looks rather small now. Whether I'll find anything appropriate remains to be seen, of course, but I want something the size of a small mattress. Something that lets me appreciate all the extra detail of 4K.

I've been quite dismissive of 4K for precisely this reason - if the TV isn't room-dominatingly huge it's a waste of time. A desk monitor's resolution is easily appreciated but a TV needs to work harder to justify its pixel count.

If I'm bothering with this next step up I want to do more than say "The colour's a bit nicer, I suppose..."

Generally speaking that's the premise behind all this. If we're doing this, we're doing it properly. I want to appreciate what I have in life and there's not much point in spending money on something that doesn't fulfill that goal.

Otherwise it's like giving a blu-ray player to someone without a high definition TV. Which happened to a friend of mine.

Sigh.

Oh and I suppose then I'll be vaguely interested in Blu-Ray. You know, for the three films that I'd ever watch on the format (to be honest it'll be Fury Road and little else, I can't think of another spectacular film I care to rewatch).

0 responses to "I think 5.1 will do nicely though."

Leave a Reply