As much as it pains me to talk about something that's not obscure I have to get it out there.

I've been listening to Ed Sheeran's Galway Girl.
So, yeah...

I've been to Galway and frankly it didn't strike me as anywhere worth celebrating. It's substantially smaller than Rotherham, not very glamorous, and apparently now home to John Romero.

Putting the town itself aside for a moment I wanted to just say something against things like this song. Perhaps I'm just incapable of living in the moment and appreciating the beauty of the ephemeral but pretty much all the women I've encountered that fit the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope have had deep seated psychological issues. They might be quirky, superficially brave, and exciting but the behaviour is just escapism. It turns to pumpkins in the light of day.

A kinder soul might put it in terms of enjoying the temporary beauty of the time with such a woman. I find it very difficult to appreciate something that is such a facade though. Longing for that which doesn't exist might produce superior art but it's not exactly good for the mind!

This sort of thing has been explored before though; the TVTropes page is full of examples. I just wanted to comment for myself because it frustrates me to see it.

...a Manic Pixie Dream Girl exists to help the protagonist achieve happiness without ever seeking any independent goals herself. 

It's not that remarkable women don't exist - it's just that the stable ones end up in healthy relationships that last and so disappear from the market very quickly. They also don't tend to be quite as irresponsible either which detracts from the zany antics angle.

Not very marketable though, is it?

0 responses to "I can't remember the specifics of the plot of Chasing Amy"

Leave a Reply