When it comes to minimalism there’s something that comes up again and again and it is this:

If you haven’t used it in six months/a year/other time period get rid of it.

Whilst I can appreciate the sentiment behind this I find myself wondering about it. Of course, on the one hand there’s the freedom of not having too much stuff and that’s understandable and fine.

On the other hand there’s another form of freedom – hope. This has to be sensibly tempered, of course, but one of the reasons I do not get rid of as many things as I might like is simply hope. Intending to use something for a potential task in future does tend to lead to hoarding-type behaviour. On the other hand if I don’t have access to something I can rarely afford to just repurchase it.

Take my guitar and amp. They’re currently not stored in Cambridge with me and that’s not a major issue. I’ve no intention of resuming my attempts to learn to play just yet. I would like to though but it’s something for a little way down the road.

Similarly my wargaming boards and desert mat. I love them and get a lot of use out of them but at the moment they’ve not been used in quite some time. Should I just get rid of them?

No! For one thing the mat is rarer than hens’ teeth these days and for another I realistically expect to resume using it in the foreseeable future. It sat in storage for around a decade and then saw frequent use.

I do have things that are just sentimental junk but they currently fill a small box. The plan is to cut out the desired parts, make a scrapbook, scan said scrapbook, then archive it in my family home.

The reason I’m thinking about this stuff is this article. Whilst interesting I can’t imagine stashing so many things for no good reason. I’ve got all sorts of things and hate throwing things away needlessly but I draw the line at old PCs of no value. I threw out a couple of ancient laptops feeling bad about wasting the valuable contents within but the way things are built makes repairing them a non-starter. One had a chronic over-heating issue that might be solvable but was mid-range at best in 2004. The other was better but had a toasted graphics card. Good luck there.

I’d love to reduce each hobby to a reasonably sized box. That way I could store them conveniently and withdraw them as and when desired. That’s the goal at least.

I’d love to travel with a minimalist set of gear and I’ve done it to some extent, but I also don’t want to give up on my hobbies. But those extra dishes or bookcases? Why pay to hold onto those?

Yet people pay through the nose to do precisely that. Bizarre.

0 responses to "That clock sounded amazing. Why not use a photo of that instead of some stock rubbish?"

Leave a Reply