Whilst I may no longer be a teenager I still find the film Fight Club useful in creating new ways to think about other people.

What annoys me most in this instance is the fact that any musings that so much as reference the film (not the book, I can't say I've got 'round to reading my copy) need an explanation. I often find people slating their teenage selves and the like on the subject. It's as if Fight Club has become a corner stone of an awkward phase people wish to forget. You know, kind of like saying things had "attitude" or were "radical".

I don't believe said people have actually moved past what their teenage selves glimpsed in the film. Perhaps they like to tell themselves that but in reality I cannot help but feel it's some sort of coping strategy to help them deal with what they feel is normal.

Yes, I know, it sounds very angsty, but that's rather the point. By labelling it as "angst" one can simply dismiss it rather than put in the effort taken to think about it.

I despise that kind of sloppy thinking. Round off the awkward parts and it can be slotted into a convenient mental pidgeon hole and forgotten about rather than assessed frankly and dealt with.

The reason I'm thinking about this is due to the rather forcibly delivered phrase "Just let go" (not to be confused with "Let go. Begin Again."). Certain people I've met really fall into this category, that is to say the category my mind brought up. These people are not necessarily control freaks in the traditional sense but one could arguably trace their dissatisfaction and frustration in life to their inability to let go.

Said group smile and laugh in agreement with things that say that "no one is normal" and "everyone is making it up as they go along". The second phrase is the one I'm most focussed on with regards to this issue. I would hope that you, dear reader, have encountered plenty of people who are not "winging it" in this way. I know I most definitely have. This isn't actually about a contrast with such folks, it's more a reference point to navigate the issue by.

The first group who like to hope that others are similarly lost are in some ways right. A great many people live this way, somewhat tragically. Many others do not though and it's not due to having easier lives or fewer responsibilities but a difference in attitude (not to be confused with Attitude!).

The others have, to a greater or lesser degree, let go. It's not that they don't have worries, concerns, and the like, it's just the way they approach life doesn't involve trying to make things perfect. Instead of trying to steer, they surf. I suppose one could even make a comparison with playing Guitar Hero. One can either embrace the music and attempt to surf the rhythm or one can insist on trying to force things to fit one's own distorted view of "how things should be". The song doesn't care either way and will blare on, it's just a matter of whether it squeals and whines or flows melodically. You know, unless it's by Rage Against The Machine song...

This isn't to say that one shouldn't try to change one's world, just that approaching it like a bratty child rarely gets good results. Moaning and stressing that things aren't going one's way is unproductive. It doesn't make anyone happy or improve anything. Having a bit of a moan from time to time is refreshing and fine, it's more when it becomes a lens through which one views the world that well-being problems start to emerge, I feel.

Perhaps it seems like coffee shop philosophy but I would prefer to label it as "accessible" if we're doing things that way.

0 responses to "I'd hug a tree but they're covered in that crumbly moss..."

Leave a Reply