Sometimes I play a game and find it infuriatingly easy to grasp. It might seem strange but most games that are easy to pick up and play act as if the player is mentally incapable of putting on their own shoes. Assassin’s Creed 3 was basically one long tutorial, for example. Here’s an open world – do precisely these things in it. Clashes somewhat with the whole sandbox thing, really!

On the other hand there are games that are truly baffling. Final Fantasy VIII is probably quite easy to understand the mechanics of as long as someone else explains it. The game manages to repurpose words, mangle ideas, and generally play havoc with intuitiveness. Of course it’s far from the worst but it’s one I’ve actually played more than an hour of.

Last night I played a game that found the right middle ground and made me laugh while it did it. Gunpoint.

It was one of those “Where did the last couple of hours go?” type games. It’s been a while since I played one of those!

I bought it for a pittance on the Humble Store. Steam redeemable and I was able to pay with USD rather than leather-bound pounds. Not bad!

(Of course it’s also available from the developer’s site.)

I’ll leave you with (my) Conway’s final blog entry:

A case of crossed wires

17 dead. 16 injured. 20 jobs. $13,000. I've had better weeks.

They don't let me name names on this blog, but the person behind the hit I was investigating is probably being picked up by the East Point police about now.

I, er, may have killed more people than I actually avenged here.

The trigger man's dead. That would have felt good if I hadn't just taken a seven story body slam.

I don't know.

I guess I picked the least shitty of two incredibly shitty sides.

Maybe that doesn't matter. Maybe all that matters is that I now have the ability to kick down doors.

Either way, I think I need 10ccs of ketamine and a Columbo marathon.

0 responses to "I loved that they didn’t open until 1100."

Leave a Reply