For a while yet it’s still 2013 and yet I’m still not really backing things up.

This is definitely not a good thing.

For me the problem is that the amount of data I generate these days is a lot higher than the storage solutions I have available to me allow for.

When I was a teenager I would burn data to DVDs and that was fine. Bandwidth constraints meant I didn’t download all that much and video content was in SD or lower. All wasn’t well but backing up wasn’t too much of a chore. Backing up 40 GB of data only takes ten single layer DVDs. Buying spindles of discs for a few pence per disc made that quite feasible to do.

These days I download plenty of things and want to hold onto them. The problem comes from the fact that HD content takes about 1 – 2 GB per episode. A single season of an American TV show will easily fill 5 single layer DVDs. An eight season show like Dexter would fill over thirty such discs and take most of a working day to write. Then those discs need to be carefully stored.

Dual layer discs would halve that but their price is still quite high even all these years later. Affordable, but annoying.

What about Blu-Ray?

Storage wise it’s no cheaper to buy 25 GB BR discs than to buy the equivalent in dual layer DVDRs. At 25 GB per disc at least one could store a season per disc. Not too bad, I suppose. Less hassle.

I do this simply because I’ve yet to find anything approaching the Steam-like crossplatform video service that would remove the need for this sort of behaviour.

Disc-based storage seems to have stagnated though and it’s rather disappointing. It’d be nice to be able to burn a terabyte to some sort of slow disc system for long term storage. I don’t need all this footage right now but I can totally see myself digging it out in ten years to hunt through.

When I was in school I read about Holographic Versatile Discs and yet here we are, nearly a decade later, still footling around with expensive, low capacity discs. Come on, guys.

I’m going to end up lugging a spindle of discs with me for quite a while yet it would seem. I wonder if tape drives still exist..?

2 responses to "Keep your damn jetpacks."

  1. Magnetic tape drive still exist and most companies use them as a valid form of backup. Most of the tapes we use at work are 40g or greater. Its an expensive buyin but maybe not so bad as a blueray recorder.

    ogrebane

  2. I was kinda kidding. I have an old SCSI tape drive kicking around from my sys admin days but it's not a suitable solution to the problem anyway. I was just trying to highlight the fact that it seems bizarre that there isn't a better consumer-grade solution to this problem yet.

    Flamekebab

Leave a Reply