I’m no musician. Not naturally anyway.

I’ve been taught a bit of all sorts of things though – violin, cello, guitar, keyboards (piano would be a bit strong), and like many Brits, recorder. None of it comes particularly naturally to me but like many things I wonder if it’s because it’s not been explained in a way that fits into my mindset.

When I was learning to drive I wasn’t until I was on my third driving instructor I understood how the clutch worked. The other two had tried to explain how to use it, and I was approximately able to, but I didn’t understand what was going on and how it impacted other things.

The third one explained that it wasn’t a binary system and gave me a bit of mechanical understanding on its role in the system. From then on I didn’t have any problems at all. Well, obviously I had to get all the things needed to be licensed down, but the car operation bit was a non-issue from then on.

I wonder if the same is true of music?

From my perspective it’s nice sounding noise. There’s some patterns to it but I don’t feel I’ve been taught the mental tools I need to really appreciate it. I’ve been to gigs playing music I really like and unless I’m doing something else I get actively bored.

historyofrock

Musical notation makes sense to me, even if I’m a bit rusty on it, but again, it’s not given me anything in the way of understanding music. I’ve read A View From The Bridge, I’ve seen it performed, and I’ve studied it yet I still don’t appreciate it. Maybe it’s just a lousy play but perhaps I simply lack the tools to understand the drama of it.

In time I wonder whether tools for music might become part of the normal curriculum. I can but hope.

0 responses to "I often have to stop myself from buying a mini amp like Mr. Finn’s."

Leave a Reply