Visiting London I was surprised by just how many people are using the blue Barclays bicycles. They were everywhere!

Whether they’re good value for money or not seems to be up for debate but it certainly seems to be helping to promote the bike’s place in modern British society. Quite the change from when I was little, I feel.

Back here in Wales the Active Travel (Wales) Act has been passed that may mean that further down the line better infrastructure exists for people on bikes. I put it that way because there’s a distinction to be made between them and cyclists.

Having spent time in Edinburgh I must say that I feel it’s only cyclists that really use bikes there. For normal folks the road network is too much of a shambles and the resulting traffic too dangerous. I can only put up with a certain amount of moaning from them before dismissing them as pretentious blowhards. That certain amount is “not much at all”. Perhaps in time Edinburgh will be fine for more than simply walking but until then I feel that just about everyone is having a lousy time.

Personally I look forward to better cycling infrastructure. I’ve been licensed to drive for the best part of a decade but have rarely had to use that skill. Cars are out of my price range and realistically completely needless for the vast majority of my life, even if they are fancy status symbols. I walk or take the bus. I’d like to cycle but find the infrastructure lacking for someone who hasn’t been on a bike in ages.

It makes me think of part of a TED Talk (From 4:16):

This notion of cells that hold most things within a 20 minute walk really appeals to me. Getting around them on a bike or travelling between them sounds like a nice way of doing things in the future.

I say “nice” simply because I’m a bit too tired to get into all the social aspects I feel such a setup would allow for. Sorry about that.

 

Recording of this post.

0 responses to "“Go bike!” he said. It was sort of heartbreaking."

Leave a Reply