I’ve been playing around with Scratch again. This time to see whether I could put together a prototype of my game. It’ll only ever be a prototype for the simple reason that Scratch can’t process QR codes and creating a hex to decimal converter is too much hassle. Sure, I could build one but why bother when that’s not supposed to be part of the functionality anyway.

In building it I’ve discovered a few things:

1. My HP algorithm is garbage


The idea was to flatten the variance somewhat. It’s a little too effective at that. Plenty of times QR2 (HP 55) ended up with higher HP than QR1 (HP 91). Yeah, that’s not good. I’ll have to rethink that one.

2. Damage resistance works


I’m actually really pleased with it. It should make the health thing less of a problem than I anticipated. Here’s the formula I’m currently using:

(Defence/2 + Rand(1,25))/100

It creates a multiplier, unsurprisingly. It takes up to 75% off the hit but also doesn’t create excessive randomness. It may need tweaking but it’ll do for now.

3. Luck sort of works


It gives a multiplier of 0.1, 1, or 1 to 2.2 as planned. Whether that represents luck enough remains to be seen. Sure, it increases the damage proportional to the luck but does that represent luck in a way I actually want?

I’ll have to give it some thought. The way I’ve implemented it works though, so there’s that.

0 responses to "Is it coding if it’s mostly done with the mouse?"

Leave a Reply