While bashing away at my design document I started to think about luck. Not fortune but in game luck mechanics.

Perhaps it should work as a multiplier for attacks? If so how should variance be generated?

I considered doing something like this:

Damage * multiplier (1 + 2*[x(Rand(0,1)/x])

Where x = luck value between 1 and 10. Additionally in this case each instance of Rand would result in a fresh value: 3 * Rand(0,1) would be the same as Rand(0,1) + Rand(0,1) + Rand(0,1).

With a luck value of ten it would be:

1 + 2 [10(Rand(0,1)/10]

Essentially taking a mean average of Rand. The higher the luck value the closer to 0.5 it should be, in theory.

Except that means that lower luck gives higher variance and has a higher chance of being above 0.5. Guess that mechanic is going in the bin then!

I decided to try a different method instead:

damage * 2[Rand(0,10) + Luck/100]/10

So a luck value of 77 would work out as follows, assuming Rand = 5.3:

damage * 2[5.3 + 77/100]/10 = damage * 1.214

Something I’ve yet to explain is this – Rand is filtered. Results of 1 are kept as critical failures (and don’t add luck), values between 1.1 and 4.9 are rounded up to 5 – luck value (i.e. a total multiplier of 1.0).

This should mean that the total spread could be a multiplier of 0.2, 1.0, or a bonus ranging from 1.2 to 2.2.

Low luck doesn’t generate more critical failures but it does cap the height of the bonus. I’m not sure if that’s the way I want to go for certain but it’s at least a start.

0 responses to "I love that my calculator has an off button."

Leave a Reply