I was on the bus last Wednesday heading home after a trip to the cinema and saw something that has been haunting me since. It wasn’t something horrific or anything like that but it was something that moved me and still upsets me.

There were a couple of girls in their early teens. I couldn’t say how old they were for sure but one could see that at least one of them was too young. I didn’t specify what she was too young for because I’ve found that it’s a little hard to pin it down in words.

Essentially she looked like she wasn’t ready to switch from little girl to mature teenager. I don’t blame her, it’s an awkward and scary phase. What got to me was that it seemed like she felt like she had no choice but to make the leap.

I thought back to what I was doing during that time – building 40k Orks, playing videogames, learning to build PCs, and the other activities that my hectic school schedule imposed (i.e. sport, meals, prep time). I can’t imagine what girls were up to during that period but at least there was the structure I mentioned. What must it be like for girls during that period outside of that sort of institution?

They’ve got so much on their plates already and it seems they’re being expected to grow up both without many positive role models and sooner than the boys. I saw that in her face and it made me worry about what our society has become.

I shall have to have a think about what I can do about this problem. There doesn’t seem to be much for them between childhood and adulthood. As teenagers they’re not supposed to go out partying but there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of activities aimed at them.

Hot Fuzz hoodiesIt’s not like it’s common to see a fourteen year old girl marshalling Eldar against a force of Imperial Guard. I wish it was for the sake of all genders.

0 responses to "Don’t worry about the lawn, it’ll grow back."

Leave a Reply