Occasionally I’m really pleased about something techy.

Today it was the fact that I managed to get my camera to interface with a rather ancient Toshiba DVD player. I bought it on eBay quite some time ago to act as a monitor whilst filming but found that it didn’t come with the necessary AV cable.

I hunted around and couldn’t find the accursed thing – I even found a technical manual hoping I’d be able to discern what kind of input it expected. No luck.

More recently I thought I’d found what I was looking for, or at least the size. I held on to a 2.5mm mini jack cable thinking it was right – turns out it wasn’t. What was actually needed was a 3.5mm mini jack with 3 channels: audio (L&R) and video. Of course my ol’ camera outputs to RCA jacks, a fact I’ve been using for many years to provide audio to headphones for monitoring whilst filming (the Panasonic GS300 doesn’t have audio output for headphones).DSCF3795

Upon realising that the input was just 3.5mm I pulled the female-to-female adapter off, plugged the yellow RCA jack into the adapter and bam:DSCF3796

In fact, with the 2.5mm adapter I’d tried I was even able to hook up my bridge camera:DSCF3797

Not overly useful for photography but a rather fun little novelty, I must say.

It should be noted that the disc drive in the device is completely buggered. I bought it with this in mind and specifically looked for a device that was broken to keep the price down. What use is a portable DVD player in this day and age, after all?

The screen is only 480x234, sure, but it’s larger for composing shots and focusing the camera. It has its own battery and takes standard input (although it looks like lots of players only output). The idea being that eventually I hope to have a 35mm adapter built but focusing one on a tiny screen is rather difficult!

Given that I now have a new camera it might be worth getting the AV cable for that to cable into the player but I’d best check the battery life first. It was built in ~2004 after all!

0 responses to "Wait, what?"

Leave a Reply