It's been quite a while since I did any real video editing.

Back in the days of the Napier Subculture Podcast we'd film to tape and then rip it using Kino.  Over time I learned to edit with Kino and found myself capable of things one might not even think possible using it.

The interesting thing about Kino is the fact that it isn't an NLE. Most video editors show several tracks of video and allow layering. By stark contrast Kino offered one track forcing one to edit very differently - everything has to be done sequentially.

As a result I had to learn to be able to think in that kind of editing. Frame-perfect cuts were a necessity.

Today I'm having a bash at editing some footage from my new camera using OpenShot. I've been watching its development and thought it'd be a good choice by now. Sadly I was mistaken.

The issue here is that every update of OpenShot seems to include vast swathes of new effects. One might ask me what the problem with that is and the answer is simple: how many times does the average user actually use an effect?

They're built to look flashy and novel. After you've seen them that's kinda it - they become stale and tacky.

By contrast it took a long, long time to get colour grading implemented in any form!

Colour grading is one of those tools that is used virtually every time. It allows for fine tuning of mise-en-scène - a fairly crucial thing in film making!

Similarly but as yet unimplemented - moving clips around the timeline is a joke. Scanning through them requires a wait for every clip as it has a little think about it. Also clips cannot be moved as a group.

That last bit may seem trivial but think about it this way - I sometimes edit the final section of a video first. It's the bit I remember most clearly and the bit that the viewer sees last. If I do it at the end I'll be tired and may not do as good a job of it. Having it ready to just be slotted into position means when I've done the meat of the video I can drop it in and relax.

Well, I would be able to if I could actually move footage around properly! The video I've just finished editing has a few big gaps in it that I'm going to have to excise using Avidemux because there's no good way of moving groups of clips around!

For me this is very disappointing - I had expected a video editor that got the fundamentals right before diving into novelty territory. I like having a lot of different options for effects but at this stage it might as well be primarily an effects machine, like a poor man's Adobe After Effects, rather than a stand-alone video editor in its own right.

0 responses to "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Leave a Reply