I bought Double Fine’s Costume Quest a while ago for £2.86 and I must say I feel it was an excellent purchase.

This isn’t a review of the game, more a commentary on the format of what I experienced.

First off, the price was low – a pint would cost me more and be less fun.

Secondly, the game was short. I don’t mean I was displeased with its length, merely that it didn’t outstay its welcome. Between the main game and the bundled DLC, Grubbins on Ice, I spent a total of eight hours.

The mechanics were straightforward, the gameplay welcoming, the world charming, and the difficulty low.

For some people I know that such a game is the complete antithesis of what they like. I’m not suggesting games like Dark Souls shouldn’t exist, simply that I would like more games like this one.

Things I can play for a few nights, have fun with, and then put down feeling I’ve got all the good content from. When I deleted the files I didn’t feel I was giving up due to disinterest, lack of skill, or frustration. I was removing them because I had finished my meal and it was time to do the dishes.

I’d like more games where I don’t feel hundreds of hours are required to receive a satisfying experience. Making smaller games is surely an art form?

DLC Quest was a bit too short for my tastes. Sure, I got my money’s worth, but I would have liked to play an hour or two more than the couple I got out of it.

On the flip side The Binding of Isaac is clearly a game with vast amounts of depth. I put in an hour here and there when the mood takes me but it’s not something I feel I would be satisfied playing longer term in order to feel I’ve reached the end of it. If anything I would end up with the problem I had in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas – apathy through oversaturation. The worlds were too big, the fabric of the story too vast.

Stepping away from it for any period of time totally disconnects me from whatever goes on in it. Getting back into it requires quite a while to reacquaint myself with it all. That’s rarely worth the trouble though as the reason I stopped in the first place tends to rear its ugly head – I simply do not feel sufficiently invested in their worlds. They’re flat and dead with some scripted NPCs spouting key words coated in flimsy layer of prose.

The trick is to make me want to forget about that. Over a few hours I can play and have fun, enjoy the world for what’s presented and then move on. When it’s tens or hundreds of hours the facade simply cannot hold itself up at the moment.

In summary – I’d rather watch a single great series of a TV show than slog through seven seasons of increasingly mediocre gunk. Except with videogames. Yeah!

Someone put a bow on this post for me, would you?

0 responses to "I tried to like Heroes but really? Ugh."

Leave a Reply