Something I often hear advocates of 3D printing is that soon we’ll all have them. That isn’t to say in thirty years, it’s five to ten according to them.

The issue I have here is that 3D printers just aren’t that useful to the average person, in my view. It’s not an issue with the technology, it’s an issue with our culture and people’s approach to products.

Long ago things were built to be repaired. These days “no user-serviceable parts” is so ubiquitous that we don’t even bother labelling things with it any more.

I’d love to have a 3D printer and can think of many things I’d do with one, that said I doubt it’s sensible to get one at this stage. 3D print shops on the other hand seem perfectly sensible and I wish there were more of them.

Setting one up would certainly be interesting but I just can’t see it being sufficiently lucrative right now and dealing with the public would probably be all kinds of nightmarish. That said maybe others will be willing to go through that. I’m not so keen on using sites like Shapeways due to the lack of personal contact. In terms of 2D printing I find myself exasperated when dealing with print shops due to their near-universal incompetence but with 3D I’m only one step up from herpderp. Eloquent, I know.

This post was an attempt at venting. I cannot fathom how these advocates have such a colossal blindspot. People barely understand what 3D printing is, let alone what it’s useful for, and even when they do they don’t have the mindset to add 3D printing to their mental toolkits for problem solving.

So, like, it’s carved out of resin or something?

0 responses to "Ah, the ol’ Radiation King…"

Leave a Reply