Unless I believe in the importance of what I’m doing I find it incredibly difficult to be motivated. Being paid is not enough. An eventual paycheque acts as no real enticement simply because I need fewer possessions, not more.

That said as long as I believe in what I’m doing I am quite happy to work hard. I’m lazy in some ways – I don’t like to work just to work, but I can be found working long after hours if I feel it’s worth the trouble. To me that’s a sensible way to be. Busywork wastes everyone’s time.

Generally speaking though this means that I don’t want to work for most organisations. That’s far from the only reason though. I get bored.

It seems we’ve ended up as a society somewhere between temporary staff and lifelong careers. Unfortunately we’ve managed to get the worst of both worlds out of the deal.

The idea of working for one organisation for 2 – 3 years sounds like a lifetime to me. It’s not that long really but it’s the difference between 28 and 31. I’d rather work 4 – 6 months on task-based work rather than contractual length.

This is partly for my own sake of wanting to try all sorts of different things and partly out of consideration for potential employers. With an open-ended approach to work then any time I leave is going to inconvenience them and throw projects into disarray. If instead there’s an understanding that once the work is done a new negotiation will happen it puts a better deal in front of both parties. One side gets to see whether they like working with the staff member while the other gets to change path on good terms.

“Why did you leave your last employment?” should really be less of an issue. Sadly it’s currently a very important question to ask.

0 responses to "More swatch than beige."

Leave a Reply