Last night I watched the Game of Thrones finale. Opinion on the content aside it amuses me that it’s apparently “the most pirated TV show ever”.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) had this to say:

What you hope is that even though people watch it online, they will still buy the DVD. At the end of the day it's stealing. I know it doesn't feel like it but it is and it's not right.

You know what? I’m not going to buy the DVD. Also, it’s not stealing. I can’t steal something that doesn’t exist. I’m not talking about an intangible file – that exists, what I mean is that the service I want to pay for doesn’t currently exist and as such stealing from it isn’t possible.







Get Adobe Flash player

At least Michael Lombardo (programming president at HBO) isn’t too torn up about the fact that so many of us want to watch his content.

I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but it is a compliment of sorts.

The demand is there. And it certainly didn’t negatively impact the DVD sales. [Piracy is] something that comes along with having a wildly successful show on a subscription network.

The main thing that seemed to bother him was that pirates should at least be getting decent quality encodings of the show!

I’d gladly pay a small amount to add GoT to a digital library just like any other shows. I’m not willing to pay DVD pricing though and given that the marginal costs are so low on digital I see no reason why my pricing point isn’t feasible. Perhaps not all the time but for a sale, for example.

Oh and defining copyright infringement as “not right” is a bit of a stretch. I’m not saying it is right simply that the concept of copyright is fairly abstract as it is. I don’t feel stealing is appropriate behaviour, certainly, but the comparison doesn’t work here as it’s not stealing in the traditional sense.

The fact that shop-bought DVDs contain mandatory trailers, adverts, and anti-piracy notices do little to sway me towards paying. Get a godsdamned grip – offer me real ways for us to give you money or pay Valve to sort out your digital strategy. Stop making criminals of people that want to be your customers.

*sigh*

I wish I wasn’t repeating myself by saying all that.

0 responses to "A daughter like that would be awesome."

Leave a Reply