I've often moaned about people being stuck in a mindset centred around stuff. I know people, as do you, who prefer to own music, films, and so on, on discs. To me that seems silly because the content is an experience and as such no longer tied to its delivery medium.

Essentially I'm more interested in the experience itself and how to best get access to it. I know that if I owned every episode of The Simpsons on DVD I would rarely watch more than a fraction of episodes, for example. The experience is watching them - not selecting an episode, finding the relevant disc, putting it in the player, watching, and then returning said disc to its case. That other stuff is hassle between me and the content. I don't like that.

The idea that the content has to be pinned down like a butterfly seems to be old world thinking. Possessions were important because we had so few.

Except that's not the world we live in any more. Large scale manufacturing has reduced the value of the tangible to virtually nothing. The value of a good meal hasn't changed though, has it?

Whereas back in the day there were cobblers these days shoes are cheap enough that repairing them is pretty much unheard of. Conversely having a few pints with friends is pretty much unchanged.

Experiences endure, possessions don't. Seems a bit counter intuitive, doesn't it? Ultimately we're just our combined experiences wrapped up in a fancy way to keep meat fresh.

The most brilliant scientist, the greatest philosophers, the dumbest blonde hottie, underneath this is all we are:

So an expensive watch is unsurprisingly not going to make you happy.

Furthermore it puzzles me that we're not putting more focus on an experience-based economy. Possessions, aside from being fleeting, aren't sustainable in the long run.

Some things are fine, of course, but mass manufactured junk is surely a story without a happy ending?

0 responses to "The consistency of mushroom, supposedly"

Leave a Reply