I'm having a play around with my Linux partition. I like it. Well, mostly. Unity is still annoyingly slow and clunky but I get by.

Anyway, my webcam works with V4L. I actually chose it many years ago for that very reason.

It doesn't work in Skype. Why? Simple - I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu 13.04. Unsurprisingly that means that my libv4l is also 64-bit.

Skype is 32-bit. It can't  talk to 64-bit libv4l.

Solution:

  • 1. Install Skype
  • 2. Install 32-bit v4l:
    $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    $ sudo apt-get install synaptic
    $ sudo synaptic
  • In Synaptic do a search for libv4l
  • Ensure that the i386 version is installed:
  • 3.Run Skype from the command line like this:
  • $ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

I don't know about you but my webcam then works just fine.

Now to figure out how to boost my damn mic levels...

0 responses to "Fixing 32-bit/64-bit differences with Skype and video4linux in Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)"

Leave a Reply