I’ve seen some films in 3D. Well, actually, I can only think of one film I’ve seen in 3D – Captain America: The First Avenger. I may have seen others but they’re really not very memorable for their 3D-ness. Having to put in my contact lenses and squish my wide head into some scratching glasses is not my idea of a good time and I resent being charged more for the privilege.

There was a lot of talk about the Hobbit being in 3D now that I think about it. I watched it in 2D while sitting on a comfy sofa in the Dominion, feet up and a warm jacket draped over me like a blanket. It was wonderful.

3D TVs have become more available too but I’ve never bothered looking into the options because in all honesty I cannot muster a shred of enthusiasm for the technology. The only exception to this is the 3DS which utilises it for gameplay and requires nothing more than a clear line of sight.

The only thing I can think of that 3D is good for is co-op on the same TV. Each 3D channel renders one player’s screen. By wearing glasses with just one set of lenses rather than one of each player 1 and player 2 are able to see different things. Pretty nifty, certainly, but hardly a system seller.

Interestingly Sony stated the following about the PS4:

3D was a big thing a couple of years ago — we made it a big thing because it was lead by the consumer electronics side of Sony and we liked what we could do on PS3 using 3D stereoscopic," Yoshida said. "But now the consumer electronics side of Sony, or all of the companies have shifted focus from 3D TV to something else, so if they're not talking about it, why would we?

[-Shuhei Yoshida]

Perhaps we can see 3D go away for a while now? I’d really like that.

I say “a while” simply because I don’t feel the technology is ready for prime time yet. Once it’s convenient and affordable I’ll be on board but for now it seems a lot of bloody hassle for negligible benefits.

2 responses to "…so if they're not talking about it, why would we?"

  1. Give me a freaking head ache. And they keep changing the glasses so I have to stea... I mean appropriate a new pai every few months.

    ogrebane

  2. The extra cost means that it's actually cheaper for me to go to the Dominion and have my own sofa. I'll take 2D over 3D for now.

    Flamekebab

Leave a Reply