It’s stupid o’clock again and I’ve been arguing debating with someone online.

What we’ve been having a, uh, heated discussion about is the idea of an open source tabletop wargame.

Imagine, if you will, a game where the books were available for free and the 3D models for the pieces were too. To play the game you could either buy the models from the company along with a printed copy of the rules or you could get them printed somewhere of your choosing.

Something between Kickstarter and Humble Indie Bundles would be the pricing model allowing for both tiered pricing and “pay what you want”.

Distribution costs would essentially be negligible and there’d be few, if any, ongoing expenses. The only investment would be time and creativity, really, some of which could be crowdsourced.

The chap I’ve been arguing with claims the idea wouldn’t work because most projects fail and it’d be hard work for no pay.

I get the feeling that he doesn’t understand how creative people work with regards to motivation.

When I sit down to sculpt for Fox Box I don’t think “Eventually this’ll make me so much money!”. I may prioritise projects based on what I think will sell well, that’s just sensible business management, but the money is not what’s on my mind. Instead I’m focussed on how awesome it’ll be to get the casts of this and building up my own.

My truck extension kit is about to go on sale, for example, after nearly a year of development. I may even have finished painting it by the time you read this. I love how the yellow armour panels look on it and how chunky the wheels are. It looks fantastic.

Similarly when planning projects part of it is the pragmatic side of “Will this be a good use of my time?” but things that I don’t find creatively stimulating to sculpt aren’t really considered. Part of the reason behind that is that I simply cannot do as good a job on things I don’t care about. I want to improve as a sculpter and as such need to focus on what will be a good next challenge.

So the idea that an open source game project is doomed to failure simply because it is hard seems ridiculous to me.

Writing my dissertation wasn’t that hard but it was annoying and stressful. Working on the Dust Rats with the other tUGS guys was fun, stimulating, and creatively satisfying. The finished document was just under 12,000 words long. It would have been longer but the extra bits of fiction written for it are still planned to go into a full-on expansion pack for Gorkamorka one of these days.

2 responses to "Are you coming to bed?"

  1. I think it's a really good idea and you should go for it.

    cabalamat

  2. I wasn't actually talking about doing it myself, it was more the irritating attitude that it wasn't worth attempting because it'd require some work.

    Flamekebab

Leave a Reply