I don't know about anyone else but when I'm talking to someone I don't know I find myself staring at their teeth whilst listening to them. Perhaps I should be making eye contact or something like that, but what I'm noticing is their teeth and lips, more than anything else.

For example, during my weekly meetings as part of my enterprise scheme thingy, my adviser always seems to wear a shade of lipstick that doesn't gel neatly with the natural shade of her lips. While she's talking I'm listening but the rest of my mind is noticing the visible line between the bright red of the makeup and the much paler shade beneath.

Similarly I notice that my own teeth, whilst healthy, are not overly neat and tend to have a more rounded quality to them which I dislike. Perhaps one day I will endure braces to have this corrected.

As I get to know someone I do this less and less, but I suppose part of me is gathering data about the expressions they make whilst talking, building their profile, as it were.

Just a little something I was thinking about.

0 responses to "Staring into the gaping mawe"

Leave a Reply