I was listening to Just A Minute today and had a good laugh at one of the panellist’s attempts at the subject “Skinny dipping”. Later I wanted to send the quote to a friend of mine and it occurred to me that not only would I have to transcribe it myself but more so that if I didn’t, no one else would.

What I mean by that is if I don’t write it down now it will not be available in text form in future. Yes, that probably sounds very mundane but it’s more interesting due to the mindset surrounding it.

Once I became an adult the world I lived in was highly connected and became more so over time. These days if there’s something that makes me chuckle I can do a quick search and find the quote written down on any number of websites making sharing it very easy. That’s the world I’ve become accustomed to and as an adult, it’s the only world I know.

Nicholas Parsons, chairman of Just A Minute has been on every episode since the show’s beginnings in 1967. He’s 87 and is still doing a remarkable job. He and the panellists did not grow up in the world I did, their words do not have the permanence I’ve come to associate with multimedia encountered through the internet.

A television show usually has subtitles available somewhere, but radio?

It’s the concept of tangibility and permanence that I found so interesting. Our daily conversations are not generally recorded or transcribed, but it is common for the media we consume to be permanent. It used to be that if one missed a television show one could wait for it to be repeated, or in later years purchase it (should it be released) on a home media format. With the advent of digital media pretty much anything can be recorded and distributed online with ease.

I’m struggling to couch this concept in text, for which I apologise. A live radio show may well be recorded, but given that it is significantly more difficult to skim through an audio-only medium (it is, trust me) there’s more freedom in the format today. The audience and performers may remember it but beyond that it floats free from anchors to history.

You there! Reword this to make more sense.

0 responses to "Nicholas Parsons and permanence"

Leave a Reply