In the aftermath of Freshers’ Week I’ve been sorting through some of the tat that was given out at the Freshers’ Fayre. NapierTV gave out some stickers, badges and flyers, but mostly we pitched. Other stall-holders were a little more, erm, lame?

Lots of the nightclubs gave out flyers. Lots and lots of flyers. Each more garish than the next, covered in more text than anyone would ever read. Meaningless membership cards were everywhere. What’s the point in having a membership card or guestlist that is open to everyone? If you’re trying to market yourself using a degree of exclusivity it seems rather redundant to me.

It’s the flyers mostly. I’m a compulsive reader, like my father, and struggle to not read text put in front of me. These flyers made even me turn away. TOO LONG, DIDN’T READ. If these clubs are trying to appeal to students, why are their flyers walls of text with as little whitespace as possible? Why are some of them spelt wrong? How come some have clearly not even been designed for print?!

I’d post photos of some of them, but to be frank, I’ve binned the lot.

Give out memorable stuff, ladies and gentlemen. It doesn’t need to be expensive, just interesting. Napier’s Christian Union give out tins of baked beans with customised labels, for example. I’m not a fan of the CU (I’m relatively indifferent), but I admire their free tat.

Our flyers tried to be quite subdued. One side contained only a photo and a URL:

wallpaper-for-padraig

The back had some carefully worded text. Perhaps it could have been worded better, we always want to do better, but it certainly wasn’t bad.

These clubs might instead want to go for banners with some of the text they wish to give out and flyers with their name and a map. Perhaps include the price and the opening times. That is ENOUGH. Giving more is just unnecessary at the Freshers’ Fair. Information overload and short attention spans do not mix well.

That is all.

1 response to "Flyers and other promo tat"

  1. A certain friend of ours' son was carefully scanning those flyers... nuff said?

    Ghost

Leave a Reply