Many years ago I wrote a document entitled “A Note On Sleeves” and then posted it on Wooden Dice’s wiki. Time, hosting moves and server hard disk crashes have claimed it now, although I did manage to find a copy over on Archive.org. Amusingly, as it was on our wiki, the oldest version was vandalised (I’d wager it was Joyno, the cheeky git) and says:

ben fox is a litle bit gay
he has a willy like a bannana

lol.

Admittedly I’ve seen some pretty large bananas over the years so perhaps I should take the second bit as a compliment.

Back onto the more serious point, the document was about suggestions about maintaining mental and physical form, written from a perspective derived from Altered Carbon (a rather interesting trilogy of books in which a body is referred to as a sleeve, acting as a semi-permanent vessel for a digitised consciousness).

Reading through, it’s still relatively accurate and true to what I believe, even to this day. I cringed when I first opened it, mainly on general principles, but when I started reading I found that it wasn’t written in a style that is that different from how I write now. A little more detached and clinical, perhaps, but relevant nonetheless.

I’m considering posting the contents of the document here, but not tonight. I’m sure anyone with a modicum of technical expertise will be able to find a copy of it.

A healthy sleeve will be act as an excellent fall-back mechanism, catching you when your mind is struggling to hold together. If you come to realise it you will marvel at how magnificently it works, like a well-oiled machine it will carry out whatever you ask of it and more.

(Formatted roughly in the way it used to look on the WD wiki)

I’m also considering writing some more vaguely political documents and fleshing out Arbiterism, as I’m a little tired of the fact that it seems from the outside as if I’ve abandoned the concept. Quite the opposite is true, in fact. I’ve been thinking and discussing the structure with a few other arbiters and am considering how to put it into words.

One minor disadvantage of Arbiterism is that it relies on judgement a lot, much like the Swedish concept of “lagom”. Not common sense, which is actually rarely common and especially isn’t common in many of the general human population, but judgement.

I’d also eventually like to do a roll-call of arbiters, to see who is active and who should be removed from my mental register. The number is smaller than before, but I also feel we have more genuine arbiters today than we did four years ago.

Perhaps the revolution will never come, so to speak, but I’d still like to try. Currently I’m working on more short term projects for both my own enjoyment and to provide funding for myself and future projects. In order to finance the initiatives I’m throwing around the ideas for, we’ll need resources.

I also think that it’s important to make sure there are alternatives to thugs like the BNP and narrow-minded nationalists like the SNP. Perhaps if parties such as the Pirate Party have some success then there will one day be more political awareness and interest amongst the population of the UK.

I personally am tired of Labour. I’m also uninterested in the Conservatives. I can’t say I have anything to say about the Liberal Democrats either.

I want to choose something else.
Arbiter-logo

1 response to "Thoughtful and political scribblings"

  1. It surprises me that people would think you'd abandoned the concept. I suppose it comes from actually talking to you about it, but it's pretty clear in most parts of your life that it's still alive and well. I'd be interested in seeing the old script, if you have it!

    Ghost

Leave a Reply