skullI’m not actually in a very steampunk mood this evening, but thought I’d share something anyway.

My father has, over the years, given me a few different curiosities. I’ve little recollection of when they appeared and often where in his travels he got them. I’m also probably not nearly grateful enough. Well, I’m going to take this opportunity to thank him for my beautiful Broadhurst & Clarkson telescope.

It has been sitting in my room for quite some time and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it shiny and oiled. Well, I took a few hours on the weekend and broke out the Brasso. I’ve not much experience polishing so parts of it aren’t polished, but the main body is looking rather brilliant.

I’m not quite certain when it dates from, or whether it’s legitimate. After all it actually has BRODHURST&CLRKSON engraved on it, rather than the whole name. Perhaps that was how they did it, perhaps it’s actually just a knock-off. Who knows?

If it’s legit, I believe it dates back to around the late 1800s/early 1900s, possibly the Boer War.

IMG_1428

I may bring it back up to Edinburgh and keep it among my many other curiosities. Soon I’m going to start making stands for them. There’s so damn many!

I think it’s supposed to have a leather case to protect it, but sadly I don’t have one. Perhaps one day I’ll make one for it, although I think I’d best improve my skills with fabric before I move onto leatherworking.

Questions to the usual address!

1 response to "“Polishing my telescope” is NOT a euphemism for anything."

  1. That is a pretty wicked telescope. Your dad is a really cool person. You're incredibly fortunate to have such lovely parents. :)

    Ghost

Leave a Reply