depth-of-field-test

Yes, it’s not a very interesting pic, or it’s needlessly pretentious. That’s not why I took it. I took it to test the iPhone’s automatic macro support and to see how the shallow the depth of field would end up. I’m pleased with the result, regardless. The pics are slightly higher res and the auto-focussing seems to improve the pics I’m taking no end.

I’ve also had a little play with the video recording which so far is pretty good. The ability to upload to YouTube in the field is also particularly useful (especially considering I’ve yet to figure out how to get the videos off my iPhone..). The quality of the video is pleasant although the YouTube uploads aren’t quite as good, as they’re compressed to make the upload quicker.

It’s also worth noting that 3G isn’t required to upload. It’ll take longer, but any ‘net access will do. I plan on uploading behind the scenes videos using this functionality when we’re back into our filming schedule in August.

Finally, before I get back to work on stuff for the Festival of Falconry, I’d just like to say that the NapierTV production blog has been updated again, go have a read if you’ve not already. Feedback is appreciated, but obviously not required.

1 response to "Playing with the iPhone 3GS camera"

  1. The camera focus is pretty impressive given it's a phone. It appears pretty crisp, which is half the battle usually. The video upload thing has so many potential uses. I think it would be really great to see behind the scenes filming stuff, kind of "as it happens". Bring it on!

    Ghost

Leave a Reply