I missed last Halloween due to attending my half-brother's wedding. Had I gone I'd intended to put together a Cthulhu costume:cthulhu

From the Cthulhu Wikipedia page:
Cthulhu is one of the central Great Old Ones of H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. It is often cited for the extreme descriptions given of its hideous appearance, its gargantuan size, and the abject terror that it evokes.

I happened to like these too:

cthulhu4prezpreview1 cthulhu4prez

So, why not a Cthulhu costume? Well, the first thing required was a base to build things on. My father's fox mask is raised on foam blocks and fits very well and this seemed a good place to start. To this end I got Midnight to smoosh a load of tinfoil onto my face to get the shape. Once that was done I got my flatmate, Matt, to lay a thin layer of plaster bandages onto the tin foil mask, creating a custom-fitted shape that would serve as the basis for the design.

1-Foil 2-plaster

Next up, the cranium. Cthulhu has a very prominent cranium and it seems vital to the costume that I replicate it. I'd previously sketched something out (sorry, no scans!) that was designed to minimise overheating - bear in mind that something like this is going to really heat up over time if not designed to be light and airy, so design it to counteract overheating I did! Will it work? Who knows?

Papier mache seemed an ideal material to work with so after a bit of recycling we had a stack of newspapers for use with our home made wheat paste. Sorted!

In order to make the ridged lines I rolled up long sheets of newspapers into quite tight coils and then had Midnight wrap them in clingfilm to make sure the papier mache wouldn’t stick to it permanently.3-clingfilm 3-Midnight-Clingfilm

Taping these coils together (two big ones, four small to medium ones) at the base produced something like this:4-structure

With the coils done we proceeded to mould them around my skull, jostling my ego out of the way temporarily. A bit of tape here and there and we had the following in place:

4-structure-flamekebab-head

On with the recycled newspaper!

5-papier-mache

The result that’s now drying on my kitchen table looks like a less soggy one of these:

5-papier-mache-mostly-done

Once it dries I’m going to start work on blending the two elements together and working on the tentacles and snout. Updates to follow unless I get sidetracked and never finish the project. Thanks for all the help, Midnight!

1 response to "Vote for Cthulhu."

  1. I am still trying to get the damned flour paste off my hands. It's going to look amazing though!

    Ghost

Leave a Reply