I’m in a bit of a quandary. A conundrum if you will.
Nothing world shattering or emotionally crippling, just, uh, tricky.

A little while ago I bought myself a PC off Gumtree. The price wasn’t bad and I’m very pleased with it. That said it does have a few issues.

It’s a Medion PC with a 2.2GHz Phenom X4, 2GB DDR2 (667MHz), nVIDIA 8400GS and 500GB RAM. Overall I’m not disappointed but I want to get more from it. I’ve already purchased a cheap monitor for it, although not a bad one, as you may have read should you read the techier bits of my blog.

I’m thinking of getting this machine, currently known only as EchoFoxtrot, a shiny nVIDIA GeForce 250GTS, some more RAM and a beefier power supply to feed it (which I hope will be sufficient, unless I’ve botched my power calculations).

My main problem is deciding which RAM to get. My motherboard and processor support up to 1066MHz RAM, 4GB of which would set me back about £40. Alternatively I could get 4GB of 800MHz DDR2 for about £32. Or I could get just 2GB of 667MHz.

My main issue is that I don’t know what makes most sense. If I get the top end stuff I won’t be able to add more the the machine as I’m led to believe my Phenom doesn’t support more than two sticks of the 1066MHz stuff. If I was to add more I’d have to push them down to 800MHz.

So far, RAM excluded I’m spending about £143. I don’t want to push that too high, obviously.

Finally. How much RAM can Windows XP actually use?

1 response to "Typically Trite Title"

  1. 32 uses 4GB (reporting between 3.25 and 3.5), 64 can use much more. So says the WinGuru.

    Ghost

Leave a Reply