Well, yesterday I was talking about buying a Nerf Maverick dart pistol thingy and I was able to with the help of a friend of mine. As it turns out, out of all the Argos stores in the Edinburgh area (at least three) there was only a single pistol available. Well, it’s not now as I purchased it, woo!

Once I got my grubby mitts on it there were a few things to do before decoration could begin..

2-logo-removalThe slider on the weapon has a Picatinny rail on top of it that is the same size as those on my shotgun BB gun, as I had suspected from the photos I’d seen. My BB gun came with a reflex sight, the scope thingy you can see in the photo. It projects a red cross onto whatever is seen when looking through the eyepiece. Not overly useful but I though it’d be suitable for the intended look of the thing. I mounted it and then, uh, dropped it. End result, I had to open the sight up to realign the internals, in the process of which I cracked the casing in multiple places and broke one of the glass pieces. It survived, but was a bit beaten up, as you can imagine (it can be seen in pieces in the background of the next pic).

1-texturingThe other major thing to do was texturing the handle. A completely smooth handle would eliminate any chance of it looking vaguely realistic, so out came my favourite power tool.

A bit of roughing later (and a lot of plastic shavings) and I had a rough handle, ready to be primed. I also took the time to remove a few plastic tabs so the cylinder would swing out the whole way, rather than the single inch it was initially designed for. This also means the cylinder can be spun, Russian Roulette style, a pleasant bonus.

3-blackI had decided on three colours for the finished weapon – a goldy bronze, silver and black. As it turns out, de spite using a light metallic colour I still ended up with a gunmetal colour of metal, but I thought it appropriate enough. So, first painting step – spraying all the components black.

4-some-silverWith that done it was time for me to determine the order for painting the components. First off was the slider, as it was easily detachable and to test the silver paint. The result wasn’t too atrocious but I found that it was probably best to do the imitation wood before the drybrushing, contrary to my usual painting order.

By using a blend of colours and trying to keep them badly mixed I ended up with this:

5-attempted-wood

Not perfect, but it’ll do. As you can see I also drybrushed the scope after piecing it back together (I later wrapped some wire I had spare from my lightsaber build around the worst cracking with a fairly successful outcome).

6-bronzed-cylinderFinally I had the bronze and remaining silver bits to do although I think I took a break first. Why do I mention this? Well seeing photo by photo doesn’t really give much indication of how much time was passing. The process up to this point must have taken a good four hours. Bear this in mind when painting!

7-bronzingThe golden bronze colour was a blend of silver and gold, I didn’t want a pure gold colour as I felt it would be a little too much and wouldn’t quite fit in. As it stands I’m not certain if the result is bronze or gold, or perhaps even gronzld.

Lots of frantic drybrushing later and I had the results. If you don’t know how to drybrush – learn. It’s easy. Paint on brush, not too much, wipe off most of it, brush quickly resulting in highlighting raised areas. Never paint metal with solid colour unless you’re absolutely certain that’s the effect you want.

8-nearly-done

8-nearly-done2

Finally, I mounted the scope and secured it as best I could. The result – a nice prop and terrible poses!

9-done-pose1 9-done-pose2

Yes, I know, I’m very unkempt today – I can’t look great every day!

2 responses to "Another one of those “I turned a Nerf Maverick into a steampunk pistol” blog posts."

  1. Hahaha... that looks amaaaazing! Next stop, fabric shop!! =)

    Ghost

  2. I saw some of them out back at Sainsburys :M

    Fewfeet

Leave a Reply