I've been trying to find the motivation to do this Organisation and Management module coursework for the last few days and I find myself utterly unable to write anything. I don't even need to do well to pass the module but I think I'm probably going to fail it because no matter how hard I concentrate I simply cannot escape the fact that I know this coursework is essentially worthless. The consequences of failing a module are virtually non-existent. I don't need to pass the module. There's no incentive to succeed.

I really wish I wasn't so good at justifying inaction sometimes.

Essentially it comes down to the simple fact that I don't want to do this coursework. I look at it and think "why?". Perhaps I'd learn a small amount of theory from researching it, but in all honesty I'm unlikely to learn anything that I'll actually use. Everything I've learnt about management so far I've learnt in the field either managing my own projects or through watching my father and uncle run their separate entrepreneurial ventures. I should probably concentrate on choosing more specific modules next time. Whilst I found my finance module somewhat boring at times it was actually USEFUL. The things I learnt I could see the point of, they were directly relevant and I didn't immediately find the concepts so insultingly easy.
As a contrast to this, my ICE and O&M modules seem to talk about highly theoretical stuff masquerading as practical things.
The strategies and concepts taught make me think "what the hell? How does that do anything other than insult the intelligence of the team?" I don't mean I think "pffft! That's silly", although I often react like that as well. I mean I look at the strategy, try and take it seriously and apply it but find that it is utterly ineffectual.

Well, if all else fails I can just retake the module, hehe. Maybe the next batch of coursework will be less depressing.

Mulling it over, I worked to finish the HRM coursework and finished it happily. I don't mean I like HRM, but the stuff I was writing about actually served a purpose. I was writing about training. Whilst I don't tend to think the kind of training in question is overly useful, having experienced it myself, I did learn a few things during that section of the module. If I could take HRM, strip out the crap and rebuild the methodology a bit I might actually have a useful tool. If I take O&M and try and strip out the crap I find there's nothing left to build on. As a surgeon described one of our staff's heart tissues during life-saving surgery - "it was like trying to stitch jelly".

It would be nice if I could find a module where I don't have to say "this whole section is an utter waste of time". I'll have to write my own at some point.

Meanwhile I've got to film the newest episode of the podcast, buy lighting equipment, organise the NSS website, plan an unrelated audio podcast and see about getting to work writing a guide to making podcasts in the UK (most guides I find are focused on the US and the environments and resources are very different).

0 responses to "Bother this nonsense."

Leave a Reply