When I was a child nearly every year my parents would take me to a university campus about an hours drive away during the middle of December. This uni was fairly remote and I feel sorry for any student stranded there, however, what it did have was a Swedish language school.
The knock-on effect of this was that on the 13th of December, every year, they'd have an evening open to the public with traditional Swedish St. Lucy celebrations.

These days there's no particular religious significance, that's not the reason the occasion is observed. From what I've read, the 13th of December was the longest night of the year according to the Julian calendar, but regardless, it's still bloody dark!

It's fairly true in Scotland too - the winter is dark. Like, getting dark at 1530 dark. You know, don't bother getting up from that lie-in dark, that sort of thing.

Right, tangenting here! Sorry!
The procession of girls dressed in white robes carrying candles is certainly pleasant to see, especially if you've been in Sweden and seen it (*cough*), however, that isn't why I love the occasion so much. It's the songs.
When I went to it as a child, I liked the songs, but could never understand why they made my mother cry. I do now.

If I make it past "då i vårt mörka hus, stiger med tända ljus" without having to hold back tears, I'm doing well. That and Forrest Gump.

Anyways, I would really like to attend a St. Lucy's day celebration here in Scotland, but despite lots of googling, I can't seem to find anything. Damnit! Come on Swedish Napier students! Sort your acts out! I know you exist because I've chatted to you!

(I'd do it myself if I wasn't so busy with other things - the night before I'm filming the Drama society's Christmas show, for example)

0 responses to "Santa Lucia - December 13th"

Leave a Reply